Tuesday 11 August 2009

Raspberry picking

I went raspberry picking for the first time last week!!! It felt like a holiday to be able to do this right in the middle of my working week. A friend and I decided it would be a nice idea and they were so cheap. On the way to the raspberry field, I noticed some other fruit growing in abundance at the moment. So abundant in fact, that you can find pears on the street and no one seems particularly excited by this, except for the foreigner with the camera. There are trees so full of plums they look like bunches of giant purple grapes. Everywhere you look, something seems to be growing. Here are some pictures of my mid-week holiday, the raspberries and one of the many ways they ended up being eaten.

The leaves sort of act like a shelter for the berries and you have to really crouch down and see what's hiding behind them to find the good ones.The camera shy raspberry farmer, who wasn't too shy to hand feed raspberries to young raspberry picking ladies when he wasn't being photographed.We ended up with 1 kilogram of raspberries and took home 500 grams each. They were also very delicious and I think my friend ended up eating more than made it into the punnet. They taste best when just picked. The whole experience was like a dream, raspberries being my favourite berry and all.Other than cramming them into my mouth totally fresh, I also used them to top a lemon tart.I haven't got a recipe for you, there are so many recipes for lemon tart out there or you probably already have one that you like best. My friend said she ended up baking something with her berries too, I'll try to post the pictures here so you can see where the other 500 grams ended up.

2 comments:

  1. Recipe for lemon tart please! It's my fave desert alongside passionfruit tart which I have made but I can't get the filling to set a bit firmer. the taste is whate it should be but the filling a wee bit sloppy. Might be something to do with egg beating...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done! Let me know if it works for you.

    ReplyDelete