Tuesday 6 October 2009

Lime or lemon filling for lime or lemon tart

This is a short recipe for lime or lemon tart filling. It is from the Marie Claire 'Flavours' book. I find this one easy and suitably citrusy, the way I like it. I have tried other recipes, one that used condensed milk and found it way too sweet. I guess I'll have to do some experimentin' and come up with my own version, but till then...

Lime tart filling

1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
1 cup cream
1 cup lime juice

Place the sugar, eggs, cream and lime juice in a bowl and mix to combine. Skim the top of the mixture to remove any bubbles or foam. Pour into the tart shell, place in a 160C oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is just set. Refrigerate the tart until firm.

They also include a note that says you can replace the lime juice with lemon or blood orange juice if you so fancy. To make the tart shell, I use the sweet shortcrust pastry recipe from Nigella's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'. Also really easy to follow and it hasn't failed me yet.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I have a tart shell recipe too but would love your Nigella one to play with as well please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be doing you more of a favour if I don't post that recipe here and suggest instead that you go get a copy of 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'. It has lots of basic pastry tips in it and pretty much recipes and tips for all things baked. I think you would get pretty good use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No funds to play with at the moment so I borrowed Nigella Lawson's 'How to Eat' which also has the tart recipe in it and lots of others recipes to peruse. Haven't made any of her dishes before so looking forward to playing for the next couple of weeks. Also borrowed her 'Nigella Christmas' book which looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It tasted so well! I guess, its the one that you topped with hand picked berries?

    ReplyDelete