Tuesday 16 March 2010

Ladies Who Lunch or Fitting In

A lady who lunches. As most retail outlets close between 12pm and 4pm and most food outlets remain open, this is what I guess I will become. I accept my fate willingly. I like lunch. But first, one must have ladies with whom to lunch. Being new in town, it is up to me to go about finding these ladies and so far, the process has been rewarding. Firstly, there seem to be plenty of ladies around and luckily there are plenty of events organised in order to come into contact with them. One of these organised events are 'coffee mornings'. Usually held at the compound restaurant, this is a chance to find out who's new and catch up with the old. Sometimes, there are goods being sold at these events, giving the ladies an opportunity to spend. Another organised activity is the  'shopping bus'. The bus leave twice daily from my compound, providing yet another opportunity to spend but also giving women a chance to shop independently of their husbands and to visit a different mall everyday of the week. Of course, it is possible to get around with a driver but these shopping busses are well planned, in between prayer time and this make sense, seeing as everything shuts down for a good half hour during prayer time. There are many activities to get involved in. Cooking classes, reading clubs, sports and craft style activities are advertised constantly on a TV channel dedicated to telling people what's on. What I find that I am liking, is being presented with opportunities to do new things. I didn't do so many new things in Ulm so I didn't really know this about myself. A couple of days ago, I got together with a bunch of ladies and made my own beaded keyring.  Something I probably would never have thought to do on my own, but it was fun to be creative, to meet new people and led to me signing up for future crafty events. One of which involves ceramics and what did I tell you? Lunch. I tried not to make my keyring too girly, as I intended it as a gift for Husband, but it remains attached to my keys. Oh well.
The pressure is on to look good in Riyadh, which might surprise some of you, because women are cloaked in an abaya and headscarf when in public. This puts a whole lot of emphasis on the parts that people can see. The sizing up of who you are, lies in the type abaya, shoes, handbag and sunglasses you wear. The abaya is something I am clueless about but locals  are discerning. As an example, my current abaya cost about 150 SAR which is about 30 Euro. I have seen abayas that cost 2000 SAR (about 390 Euro) and have been told about ones that cost 6000 SAR (about 1,168 Euro) so, I guess the sky is the limit. I spoke to a lady the other day who confessed to wearing more make up here in Riyadh then she ever did at home. Somehow, covering your hair and clothes can leave your face feeling strangely exposed. There is an urge to make this one part of you that people can see clearly, look its best. When people can't be distracted from that huge pimple by that funky hairdo you are sporting, concealer becomes your best friend. I too must confess to regular manicures and pedicures since arriving. God forbid you step out in open footwear with an unpumiced heel or less than polished toenails. 
Fortunately for me, I (think) I can tick off the handbag box. Husband (ain't he sweet?) bought me one that should score some points (I hope) on the Saudi scene. I am however, still rebelling with the shoes and the sunglasses. I know that the 10 Euro H&M slip-ons are not going to cut it for long nor will the two pound fifty Primark sunglasses but I will hold out for as long as I can. 
Which probably won't be for very long  at all. Sigh.  The changes one must make to assimilate. What I am hoping, is that I will get lucky and won't have to pay full price for what I am quite sure will become a habit. My justification? Well, I have noticed designer goods are heavily discounted here when new season stuff comes in AND seeing as clothes remain hidden under the abaya, technically I don't really need to shop for clothes for the next two years. Right?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your last posts! I really enjoyed reading them. Your life in Ryadh sounds so much different from your Ulm one. Sounds like your becoming a true lady of leisure.. Enjoy it anyway as long as it lasts! And don't worry about being pregnant, I am very sure you will be absolutely fine and love Gobi being out!
    Love from Paris,
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Martina! First time commenter, so nice to know that you are reading. Looking forward to catching up and hearing about life in Paris. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete