Monday 1 June 2009

Best wurst in Zürich

Not like we haven't done enough travelling lately, but since our suitcases seem to be permanently packed, we decided to visit family in Zürich this weekend. They were travelling through and thought it would be nice to meet up. Fun! A three hour drive from Ulm and an opportunity to see a city that I hadn't visited before. Before they arrived, we had the Saturday to look around town and to see what the city had to offer. Besides amazing chocolate shops and your standard retail outlets, there were some very attractive looking food establishments. One of these was 111 year old HILTL, which claims to be the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Europe. While we didn't eat there, the place was packed, a good sign and food was also available to take-away. We walked past a couple of interesting restaurants but strangely, many places were closed for business on a Saturday night. The prices also made my eyes water, food is much cheaper in Ulm. Zürich prices are more like Sydney prices and I've kind of blocked those from my memory. We did have the good fortune to stumble across this gem, the Sternen Grill on Bellevue. I have to admit, I am not the biggest fan of sausage in the world but couldn't bear to drag Husband away from this place, he looked like he was in heaven. I mean, it was the closest he will ever get to drooling and tail wagging as he looked through that window. I'm glad we stopped. At €4 a sausage this is a snack or a meal that won't leave too much of a dent in your wallet but compared to about €2,40 for its Ulmer counterpart it did make me cringe a little. We tried one white bratwurst, these are made from veal and it tasted, simply, like no other sausage I had eaten before. Really very good. It came with a little cup of hot mustard and a bread roll. The adjectives that come to mind as I try to describe the flavour sound like I am trying too hard to be some sort of sausage connoisseur and I am not, so I won't even bother. Suffice it to say that I can't imagine anyone taking issue with this recommendation. Now, we ate it pretty quickly between the two of us which means I clean forgot to document this discovery with a photo or two. But having come home and done some research I can direct you here and here for some pretty nice shots of where you should definitely stop by, if ever in Zürich.

1 comment:

  1. If only it were a train ride away, would have loved tojoin you, especially Adrian when you're talking German sausages.

    ReplyDelete