Tuesday 17 February 2009

A Hunting Story II

Just a quick update for those who are following our apartment hunt. We found one last Saturday. It was love at first sight. Great location, huge, affordable, windows in every room, high ceilings. We expressed our immediate interest and told them we could move in straight away, great for them as it had been empty for a while. They told us they would get back to us on Wednesday. I spent the next few days thinking interiors. I was so excited by the place that I could hardly sleep waiting for Wednesday. I hear you. Don't get your hopes up, you're saying. Wait till that phone call on Wednesday. Well, yes, I know it's not helpful to get carried away but everything went swimmingly at the viewing. They spent extra time with us and asked us detailed questions, hobbies? jobs? Sydney?! Do we smoke? Nope. Do we have house pets? No sirree! We would make perfect tenants. Wednesday came. When we hadn't heard by 5:00, we called. We didn't mean to rush them but had they decided? Yes they had. She was just sitting down to write us an email. Sorry, she said. We've decided on someone else. Thud. Somewhere on planet earth, a tree crashes to the ground, and for some reason, I can feel the impact in my head. What? You mean not the friendly, non-smoking, no pet - having couple? Dare we ask? Why not us? Well she answers, we had some friends who were interested and we've decided to give it to them. Oh, OK then. And yes, of course, they can give the apartment to whomever they damn well please. But the question remains, why would you invite 12 other couples to come and have a look when you already have a candidate in mind. I just don't get that part of it. We smiled so hard our faces almost fell off. Alas! All in vain. We never stood a chance. I know that I shouldn't take these things too personally, but they are so much like job interviews, I can't help but wonder what people are looking for in a tenant. Never mind, I keep telling myself. It wasn't meant to be. Get back on that horse. We do have another viewing next week. The owner rang today asking if we'd like to come and see it. His first words were: There's no balcony, and it's not quiet. You have the noise from the trains, the buses and the cars. It is located on the corner of a busy intersection. At least we know he is going to be straight with us.
Fingers crossed - for what exactly I am not sure... We are going to have a look next Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. Mals! Heartbreaking. Oh well, hopefully a better, cheaper one comes along :) Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better possibly, cheaper not likely. This place was a steal! Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... can't help but think it's a sign

    you should move to another city, or 'a' city ...

    oh that was nasty! (my comment and their behaviour)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you had imagined fitting your kitchen in there and all..

    Can't believe one tucks the sink under their arm and makes for the next rental, strange concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with you and I too found it strange in the beginning. This is one of the many things that I have become used to over here. Sure there are apartments that come with kitchens but it is not unusual for them not to.

    ReplyDelete