Monday 9 February 2009

Rituals


A very happy one year paper anniversary to us! One year later and I am certainly older but none the wiser about how people get to their 10th, 20th, 30th... Hard work it is indeed! But I think we've done pretty well. No actual acts of violence though admittedly plenty of thoughts. Lots of bad words (expressed and suppressed), and plenty of brow furrowing moments. Through it all we have managed to recoup and come together and perhaps even like each other a little more than before. It has been rewarding too. Many lessons learnt and so many happy memories created that one wonders where the brain will find room to store a whole lifetimes worth. We have definitely earned our stripe. To celebrate we are treating ourselves to a trip to Berlin. This will be my third time to Berlin in less than a year (I think I'm addicted) but my first trip with Husband. I have travelled there by rail and by road but this time we are splashing out and going by plane! This sort of makes up for our very cheap but hopefully not too dodgy hotel. Now, our relationship doesn't really have much to do with a boiled egg, except for when it comes to our ritual of weekend breakfasts. This is something that, one year on, I realise has become a big part of our lives. Not every weekend is a lazy weekend, but a good few of them are and one of our favourite things to do is to set the table, inside in winter or on the balcony in summer and to have a proper breakfast. By proper I mean not the type of brekkie you would have during the week. Nothing quick and convenient. A proper German breakfast is quite different to what we do in Australia. It is mostly cold, like cheese and smoked meats. We often receive home made jams as gifts, our favourite at the moment is plum and whisky. Then there is of course bread (sourdough is very common here) or pretzels and danishes - bought fresh from the bakery. I guess, there is really no need for me to explain how or why this has become a regular part of our lives. It is just really relaxing - he eats, I talk, he nods - I keep talking. It's great. I usually like to have a boiled egg, mashed on buttered toast with salt and pepper. Not always, but sometimes when we have just been to the market and bought some good eggs from a local farmer. I really do think that these moments are what keep me sane. Mushing that egg on my toast, sipping my tea, talking about my week. A boiled egg is equivalent to therapy in my house. My theory is if we keep up our weekend breakfast ritual I'll see you back here this time next year...

1 comment:

  1. Happy anniversary my wifey. Was a great year full of experiences and happenings. I enjoyed almost :-) every day and I'd like to continue ...

    ReplyDelete