Wednesday 11 February 2009

Top Tier Fruit Cake

Baked in Australia with love. Transported to Germany with care. Eaten in Ulm with absolute delight!

This delicious looking fruit cake was the top tier of my wedding cake. Well, not exactly. On the day the top was a mock tier decorated to look like the rest of the cake. The wedding cake was a gift from a good friend and she baked the top tier and packed it separately for me to take back to Germany. I have read that it is considered good luck to save the top tier of your wedding cake and eat it on your first anniversary, so that's what we did. I can confirm that one year of storage had no adverse affect on the flavour. It was delicious.

Cake is a grand German tradition. One of my favourites. You will be hard pressed to find a 'hausfrau' worth her salt who doesn't produce a torte or a tart, at least once a week. I think it is fitting to begin this 'Cake of the Week' section with this very special fruit cake. 'Cake of the Week' will give me the burdensome task of trying a new variety weekly and sharing it with you. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am looking forward to this :) I can taste it now, Apfelkuchen, and all other kuchen-brothers and sisters. Yum. No pressure, bake what you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous looking cake, a work of art! Well done Tina. I love the decorative nutty flower on top. Wish I were there to share.

    ReplyDelete