Saturday 14 March 2009

bee-sting

There's a new lady at the market and she is selling home-baked goods. When I asked her if I could take a photo of her cute, little stand (I thought she had done a great job setting up) she said 'no'. She was all embarrassed that I might get the plastic sheet she had pinned up on the side of the stall that you can't see, to protect her from the wind and the rain. Not one to take 'no' for an answer, I took the photo and showed it to her. She approved. I managed to omit the offending plastic, flying in the wind.
As we were chatting, I asked her how business was going, I looked down to see what she had to offer. I realised, in a rush of excitement, that she was selling bee-sting and of course I bought a slice. Bee-stings are one of my favourite German sweets ever. Two usually thin, dryish pieces of sponge, sandwich whipped honey cream, topped with honeyed almond flakes. Heaven! After finishing our Saturday morning shopping I found the bee-sting somewhat squashed almost at the bottom of the bread bag, unwrapped it and sat down for my weekend treat with a strong cup of tea.
The first thing I noticed is that the sponge layers were thicker than what I was used to. But it wasn't until I had a mouthful that I realised why the sponge layer appeared to be so thick. The layer of honeyed almonds, usually reserved for the top had been replicated on her bottom layer of sponge as well. I have included the close up photo so you can see what I mean. If you look closely you can see the almond layer below the cream.
Well, was I ever surprised! I have tried many versions of this but this is the only I have come across with two almond layers. However, even though this was an interesting twist, for me, two almond layers did not make it twice as good. It was a little too sickly sweet for me and all that almond required more chewing than I was willing. So I had to bring in Husband to help me finish it. He is not the biggest fan of bee-stings but he tried it nevertheless and to my surprise was totally taken with it. The man who usually wrinkles his nose at me when I buy this creamy slice, exclaimed that this was the best bee-sting he had ever eaten. Well! So the new lady's bee-sting gets the title of 'cake of the week' for this week. Not really because I liked it but because it knocked Husband's socks off, and that is not easy to do.

2 comments:

  1. Funny she said no at first. You'll have to sample some other delectables from her stsnd and give her an overall rating here in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but it was a friendly, flattered 'no'. The type of 'no' that really means 'yes', if you know what I mean. I guess I will sample more delectables. It seems that all I do at the moment is sample delectables - it's hard work waiting for spring.

    ReplyDelete