Wednesday 11 March 2009

Who brought the fish paste?

'Who brought the fish paste?' I'll take that as a compliment. I'm certain it was intended as one because the asker proceeded to clean out all remnants of the 'fish paste' from the dish with a piece of bread. Glad you liked it. If Dagmar's dad liked it, (Dagmar of Eiden that is, who I will post about soon), then I am sure you will too. Thing is, I can't really call it my fish paste because the recipe comes from Nigella Express, and Nigella calls it Trout Pate. la-di-da. Well, I add a dash of Tabasco at the end and she doesn't. Is that enough of a modification to make it mine? This has been, to date, the most made recipe from my copy of Nigella Express. Due to it's moreish tastiness but also in part, to how unbelievably 'schnell' it is to make. Smoked trout is readily available here, in the exact quantity the recipe requires. It is usually in the fridge section and is sold in flat, plastic packets, boned, skinned and ready to use.
Nigella's Smoked Trout Pate or Fish Paste

2 smoked trout fillets, approx. 125g total weight
50g cream cheese
1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Spoon pate into a small bowl, making sure to get it all out of the blender. You won't want to waste any. Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve. I usually serve this with cornichons, tabasco and thinly sliced fresh bread.

1 comment:

  1. If I remember right I told my sweet little wifey that Tabasco might go very well with the dip. Please (don't) correct me if my memory is that bad :-)

    ReplyDelete